Mary J, Treglia Community House offers classes to English Language Learners (ELL) from the pre-lit level and beyond. The student experience is enriched through hands-on experiences such as cooking classes, field trips, and computer time. We also enhance the students experience through guest speakers, tutoring, and conversation partners.
Prospective students can enroll at our office by filling out a registration form, taking a placement test, and paying a small fee for the supplies. Students are then placed in a class according to their level. We can’t wait to have you join us!
Please email ELLInstructor@marytreglia.org for additional questions.
Mary J. Treglia will provide updates about information related to the impact of COVID-19 as they become available. Please review this page for the latest information and resources. The Iowa Department of Public Health also provides updates here.
Online English Practice Sites
Transparent Language (need a library card)
https://www.esl-lab.com/easy/ Listening practice
Start here: www.spps.org/abe Click Student Resources and then Online Activity Lists and then Online ELL 0-2
Choose from ELL 0-2 Websites
- Basic Literacy Skills Interactive, from literacycenter.net
2. ELL 0/1 Activities Listening, Reading, Matching
3. ELLO Listening Games Multiple choice listening games with pictures
4. ELLO Short Interviews Authentic interviews with transcripts
5. GCF Learn Free Real life activities on food, money, work, shopping, & maps
6. Hello World ESL English activities and games
7. Language Guide Picture dictionary with audio
8. Marshall ABE Timed Readings
9. MCED: Multi-cultural Educational Services
10. Minneapolis ABE Activity List for ELL / GED
11. Picture Dictionary
12. Starfall Reading Practice
13. Typing Practice your typing here
https://soundsofspeech.uiowa.edu/main/english Phonetics with visual for where to place tongue/produce sound correctly
http://www.eslcafe.com/search/index.html All things ESL
Practice 10-15 minutes everyday!
Printable version here.